[wp-testers] get_categories hierarchical not working

Austin Matzko if.website at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 15:18:26 GMT 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Nathan Rice<ncrice at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was working with the get_categories() function last night, and noticed
> that the hierarchical argument is completely ignored by the function.
> Doesn't work at all.
>
> It seems like I'm not the only one who noticed:
> http://wordpress.org/support/topic/228280?replies=8

Nathan, could you explain what arguments you're passing to
get_categories, what results you expect, and what results you're
getting instead?

I tried get_categories and it seems to be working as expected.  The OP
on that wp.org support thread states an incorrect description of what
"hierarchical" means.  What it does mean, when true, is that even when
"hide_empty" is true the results will include sub-categories that are
empty but do have child categories that are non-empty.  That is a
separate issue from the order in which they are returned.