[wp-testers] New milestone: 10000th tickets

Xavier Borderie xavier at borderie.net
Tue Jun 2 05:45:48 GMT 2009

(cross-posted since if fits both lists IMHO, sorry for the inconvenience)

Remember the thread I launched, back in December, about having reached
10000 changesets to the codebase since it went into SVN ?
http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-testers/2008-December/010374.html

Well, a few hours ago, Trac saw the opening (and closing) of the 10000th ticket!
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/10000

Congrats, hackers and testers! :)

I'd also like to point out a bit of trivia about 2.8: among all the
referenced milestones in Trac,
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/roadmap?show=all
2.8 is the one with the most tickets opened (815, which if memory
serves me well is the first time a milestone passes the 800 line), and
more importantly with the most tickets closed (758 and counting).

Usually milestones end their lifetime with a couple dozens (if not a
couple hundreds, most often) of unresolved tickets, which are then
swept under the rug of the next minor or major version.

But this time, thanks to extensions to the release date (and I'm
thinking also the tireless participation of external developers, among
which one of the most notable is Denis de Bernardy, who devoted
himself full-time to tickets-resolving ever since the 24-hour-marathon
(http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/9758#comment:10), we've seen a
steady decrease in number of open tickets, even thought this major
release has seen more open tickets than any other previous release:
we're at 758 closed tickets already, and the closest to that is v2.5
with 750 closed tickets, then v2.7 with 668 closed tickets.

Seeing as both 2.5 and 2.7 both saw major interface changes to
WordPress, and that 2.8 doesn't not have much new interface apart from
the widgets sections, it looks to me as if the core developers chose
to push tis version's deadline so that they could "profit" from the
goodwill of said external developers, in order to try and close as
many long-standing tickets with the release, so as to to start on a
cleaner-than-ever slate when comes the time to produce 2.9.

Sure, 2.9 already has 398 open tickets under its sleeves, and "Future
release" has 339, but it looks like that, for the first time in a long
time (I might be wrong), we'll have a major release where no lone
ticket was left standing by unattended, so I'm hopeful this will make
for one of the sturdier version of WordPress since the 2.0 line

In any case, I'd like to use this e-mail to send another congrats to
everyone involved in this release: core devs, external devs,
reviewers, testers and people with an opinion who are willing to fight
for them with suggestions and, even better, patches.

--
Xavier Borderie