[wp-testers] Wordpress scaling problems

matthijs matthijsenator at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 08:05:29 GMT 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> > 1) Is it only when you use those at the -beginning- of the permalink
> > structure?
>
> Yes.

Ok, good to know.

> > 2) If using %category% in the structure is not wise, how else are you
> > supposed to browse your blog/site by category?
>
> The permalink structure only applies to single posts. Category
> archives are built in, you don't need to do anything special.
> http://example.com/category/whatever will show you the category
> archive.

Yes, I think I'll have to rethink the way I handle my URLs if there's no
other solution. I knew about the categories having been built in, but the
reason I have %category% as the base sometimes is that, for example, I want
a section "news" on my site. Not "/category/news/". So that I can have a
main navigation menu like: Home - News - About us - Contact. Then the News
link will get you to the blog/news section, the other links to the pages. A
fairly logical thing to do.

A possible other solution I was thinking about was creating a Page "news".
Then have that page news use a special template in which the posts in the
category "news" are pulled in. But I have to think about that one some more,
it feels clunky.

> > 3) What about the attachments? Why is it needed to also have many
> > rewrite_rules for attachments?
> > My guess would be that in most cases you just want to upload an image and
> > link to that. No need for any rewrite rule there isn't it?
>
> Attachments are posts too. They get their own special place in the
> system, they have special templates used for them in the theme
> hierarchy, etc.

Is there a reason for that? I would think that if I include a media file in
a post or page I just want to include it there. I have been working with
wordpress for years and have built dozens of sites with it, but always
wondered what the purpose of the attachment template was for in some themes.
Never used it before. But I'd like to know the story behind it.