[wp-testers] Wordpress scaling problems

Paul Robinson pablorobinson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 11:28:37 GMT 2009

I'm not as up on the whole structure & workings of WP as everyone else (and
it's early here), but I'll have a shot at some of your questions. :P

1) Is it only when you use those at the -beginning- of the permalink
> structure?

Yes, I believe so.

> 2) If using %category% in the structure is not wise, how else are you
> supposed to browse your blog/site by category?

I suppose that this is the prefered method of using the %category% since it
would only be used for a few pages worth of posts rather than every post on
your blog.

I could be wrong but that was my jist of it.

3) What about the attachments? Why is it needed to also have many
> rewrite_rules for attachments?
> My guess would be that in most cases you just want to upload an image and
> link to that. No need for any rewrite rule there isn't it?

I think the rewrite rules for attachments are for their attachment pages.
Again not sure. I think a good option might be whether or not to allow an
attachment page to be shown for a image, although I doubt that is plausable
or needed.

4) Someone mentioned something about a change in the handling of media
> planned for a future release. What changes are those or were can I find
> more
> info on that?

Twas me that mentioned that. It was talked about for 2.7, but it got dropped
back to 2.8 & then when 2.8 was late in starting development I believe it
was pushed back again until 2.9/3.0. Information on changes to the media
section is sparse since I don't think they have a plan yet, but I remember
being told that there will be a media based servey over at WP.org asking
what changes we want in the coming months.

Again I could be completely wrong so feel free to correct me, but that's my
2c worth. :P

Paul.