[wp-testers] Plugin update not working

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Fri Jan 2 03:27:41 GMT 2009

2009/1/2 Stephen Rider <wp-hackers at striderweb.com>:
> On Jan 1, 2009, at 7:48 AM, DD32 wrote:
>> Anyway, Heres an alpha release of a plugin i'm working on:
>> http://dd32.id.au/files/core-control.zip
>
> cURL:  An Error has occured: name lookup timed out
>
> I Disabled cURL
>
> PHP fopen(): Successfully retrieved & verified document from
> http://tools.dd32.id.au/wordpress/core-control.php
>
> PHP fsockopen(): Successfully retrieved & verified document from
> http://tools.dd32.id.au/wordpress/core-control.php

I somewhat thought that would happen, I dont know why, But i suspect
cURL bundled with PHP with MAMP is crippled.. or maybe the timeout for
curl's lookup is just too short.. no idea why

> Plugin update check worked -- no new updated found.
> (Incidentally, Update *check* has been working, just no the actual
> auto-update on plugins
Which is odd.. Given that if one fails, they should both fail.. It
could just be that cURL works 50% of the time..

> The plugin looks as though it has good potential for troubleshooting and
> certain development tasks.  (Actually the ability to "check for update now"
> is going to help me with another thing I'm working on, so... Cool! :-)

Thats the main purpose of it :) But i'm planning on basing a few small
modules off it, I'm sick of building a dozen tiny plugins for random
uses which might only be used once, I wanted something i could just
add it as a seperate module which would hopefully be of use to someone
else in some form :) - That.. And some way I could update the plugin
without having to submit the 1-liner to wordpress.org..
Got any thoughts on other modules which would be helpful to plugin developers?