[wp-testers] [Testers Wanted] SSH2 Support

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Fri Apr 17 14:35:13 GMT 2009

Morning/Afternoon/Evening All,

If WordPress supporting SSH2 for upgrades is news to you, Or you use shared hosting, You can probably stop reading now.

Since the SSH2 layer was introduced, There's been a few long standing issues, Unreliability, non-connecting, failing with obscure results, Failing with certain filenames, among others.

If in the past you've attempted to use it on your VPS or Dedicated server, Now is probably a time to give it another shot (Please: Create a separate user account for the testing! - You have absolutely no excuse!)

If you need some instructions on how to install the PHP SSH2 Extension, Then its actually relatively easy if you have command line experience.
On some installs, mearly running 'pecl install ssh2' will work, on others, a bit more is needed
The header of the SSH2 file has some info: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/wp-admin/includes/class-wp-filesystem-ssh2.php#L9 - Its not the best, i agree, but its better than nothing, Combined with manual compile notes: http://iparrizar.mnstate.edu/~juan/urania/2008/12/11/activating-ssh-support-in-macports-php/ hopefully most can work it out.

Now, Once your server is actually up and running with SSH2, Its time to actually test the stuff.
If it hasnt already been commited by the time you read this, you'll need to apply this Diff patch: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/8210#comment:7 (Once again, I'm going to assume you know how to do this stuff..)

I'd appreciate reports of whats working, whats not working, with regards to the SSH2 layer

Yes, I know a lot of you on this list are not full-on-technical people, But thats OK, Theres some techies out there who'll want to tinker over the weekend :)

Cheers,
Dion