[wp-testers] 2.7 Dashboard MENU?

Steve stevish at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 17:37:20 GMT 2008

I was just noticing that it's very redundant to have a menu under
"Dashboard" that only contains "Dashboard." I realize that plugins (such as
Akismet) may add menu items, but shouldn't WordPress perform a check to see
how many menu items there are? That way, it could get rid of the expandable
menu if it doesn't need it, thus granting one more slot worth of screen real
estate to the user.

I understand that you can collapse these menus if you want to, and that a
cookie will save those preferences, but on my current install (downloaded
from the trunk this morning), when I click on the "Dashboard" menu, it takes
me to the dashboard AND opens the dashboard menu (which reveals nothing more
than a second, redundant link to the dashboard). If there was an option to
permanently lock a menu in the closed position, I would use it for the
dashboard menu.

In my opinion, this should be addressed prior to the release of 2.7.

Did anyone else notice this? Does it really seem like something that should
be fixed? Is it something that should be put off until 2.8?

-Steve