[wp-testers] Re: 500 Server Error when posting

Kirk M kmb42vt at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 17:44:05 GMT 2008

I did solve a DB problem very similar to yours and that I also could not
track down but it's a bit extreme. So it's up to you if you want to try
this or wait those 31(?) days. ;)

(First, I downloaded the latest trunk build and extracted it. And if you
decide to do this yourself please make sure I haven't bunged up and left
something obvious out below. I tend do take care of problems like this
running half on instinct.)

It involved backing up my entire DB into a ".gz" file, deactivating all
my plugins and then completely dropping all my DB tables. Once that was
done, using FTP, I deleted my "wp-admin" and "wp-includes" directories
(never overwrite) and then uploaded the equivalent directories from the
latest trunk build. I then overwrote all my current WP root files with
the new ones from the trunk build keeping my original "wp-config.php"
file intact*.

*Note: If you're using a previous version of the "wp-config.php" file
(like 2.6.* for instance) then I suggest you transfer your settings over
to the new 2.7 "wp-config.sample.php" and use that as your
"wp-config.php" file. Rename your original to "wp-config.old" just in case.

At this point I went to my browser and ran ".../wp-admin/install.php"
which created all new DB tables. I used the new username and password to
log into my Admin and re-created my original Profile and deleted the
default "Admin"  (I know, unnecessary step but I'm rather anal you see)
then logged back out. In my cPanel at my host, I used "phpMyAdmin" to
import my backed up DB file into the new tables. Once completed, I went
back to my site's login page and logged in with my original username and
password. At this point, WordPress ran a DB upgrade to bring the
original tables I had just imported up to date and I was logged in with
no problems.

I reactivated Aksimet and banged around the Admin to see if everything
was on the up and up including editing a post or two...no problems
encountered, nice and speedy. I reactivated the rest of my plugins one
by one with no problems and the Admin was still nice and quick. Since
then, the site has been running fine.

My guess was that my original (rather old) DB was corrupted in some way,
shape or form but not in a way that triggered any errors or that I could
track down. Doing the above solved the problem for me but like I said,
it's rather extreme and sounds a lot like what you intend to do in a
month or so. Of course, the problem could continue to degrade over the
30 days where your Admin becomes even more troublesome than just hanging
while posting.

Let me know if you decide to do this, I'd be curious to know if it works
for you.