[wp-testers] 500 Server Error when posting

DJ Allyn djallyn at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 18:07:48 GMT 2008

This just started after the WordPress 2.7-beta3-9948 upgrade.

When I go to post or edit a post, everything will hang there for about two
minutes and then I get the eeeevil 500 server error message.

When I go look at the page, the entry has actually posted or edited.

I did the usual:  disabled plugins, manually deleted and reinstalled WP 2.7,
and still I get the same 500 server error.

When I went backwards to WP 2.6.5 the problem went away.

I am on DreamHost Private Server, and currently run a guaranteed *304
MB*memory (burstable to
*608 MB)*.  I tried upping the resources to *535 MB* memory (burstable to *985
MB)* to see if that changed anything, and it didn't.  My average memory is
running steady at *255 MB* and the server load averages 0.08 over five
minutes.

*Server operating system:* Linux
*Current version of PHP:* PHP 5.2.6
*Current version of MySQL:* MySQL 5.0.45-log
*Webserver software:* Apache/2.2.9 (Unix) PHP/5.2.6 mod_ssl/2.2.9
OpenSSL/0.9.8c mod_fastcgi/2.4.6

I have another domain on the same server with the exact same theme and
plugins running WordPress 2.7-beta3-9909 and it is working just fine.
Ironically, the one working fine gets 1000 times the traffic the other one
does.

I had a similar issue with an installation on a Hosting Matters server the
other day.  I installed WP 2.7 beta3 and it worked fine for about two hours
before the server overloaded and locked out.  That site averages about 10k
hits a day, and is on a dedicated server running the following
configuration:

*Server operating system:* Linux
*Current version of PHP:* PHP 4.4.7
*Current version of MySQL:* MySQL 4.1.22-standard
*Webserver software:* Apache

When I replaced WP 2.7 for WP 2.6.5 the loads went from 233.85 back down to
0.88.  Yesterday I re-installed WP 2.7 to the Hosting Matters server and the
same issue cropped up again.

I hope I gave you enough information to work with...

--
DJ Allyn
www.djallyn.org

"The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music"