[wp-testers] WordPress 3.0?

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Tue Nov 18 20:51:59 GMT 2008

On Nov 18, 2008, at 1:59 PM, Otto wrote:

> WordPress 2.7 is a "major" release. Next will be 2.8, followed by 2.9,
> and then 3.0. So sayeth the word from up-on-high.
>
> So, Wordpress's first two version numbers are decimal. Get used to it.

No disrespect intended to Matt, but... it's goofy!  First number for
major upgrades.  2.9 -> 2.10 -> 2.11 --big one--> 3.0

That's not "version inflation", it's **information** -- "This is a
Major Upgrade, not just an update.  Significant changes to User
Interface and Functionality beyond this point."

I think 2.7 qualifies.  Treating the first 2 digits as a false decimal
flies in the face of pretty much any other software out there.  (Cue
people coming up with examples of software that does it anyway in

That being said:

While it may have been better to make this 3.0, that decision should
have been made a while ago.  We're too close to release to change
versions now.  Should have had this discussion two months ago.

Sincerely,
Stephen

--
Stephen Rider