[wp-testers] 2.6.3 + Strict Doc Type + "aria-required='true' = failed validation

Lynne Pope lynne.pope at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 07:03:57 GMT 2008

> From: Idled Soul <idledsoul at gmail.com>
> Is there any work around for this? Using that element in Strict Doc type
> fails validation, it's the only thing keeping the theme from passing...
>
> <input type="text" name="email" id="email" value="<?php echo
> $comment_author_email; ?>" size="22" tabindex="2" <?php if ($req) echo
> "aria-required='true'"; ?> />
>
> <?php if ($req) echo "aria-required='true'"; ?>
>
> Is there another line of code to use so it passes or whatever? Or do
> "we" just use the old original method like such:
>
> <input type="text" class="textbox" name="author" id="author"
> value="<?php echo $comment_author; ?>" size="22" tabindex="1" />
> <label for="author"><small>Name <?php if ($req) _e('(required)');
> ?></small></label>

Just don't include <?php if ($req) echo "aria-required='true'"; ?> in
your theme.
The WAI-ARIA States and Properties module is an add-on to XHTML 1.1
and is designed to be served as application/xhtml+xml. The default
theme applies it incorrectly and while adding AJAX states and
properties is supposed to help to make AJAX more accessible, until all
mainstream browsers support XML most people are still forced to
deliver XHTML as text.html.
WAI-ARIA is still in draft form and has not been finalised. While
there is limited support for parts of it, in some browsers, most
assistive devices use Internet Explorer and although I don't know if
IE8 will have support for it IE6 and IE7 do not.

So, short answer is - if you want to validate your site just delete
the aria entry. It has little or no value at this time anyway and may
not even be what the final specification uses.

Lynne