[wp-testers] Re: Default actions for top-level admin menu items

Elpie Lynne.Pope at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 12:18:36 GMT 2008

Some of those links are just not clickable with JavaScript off
unfortunately.

On 2.6.3 the backend is still fully functional without js, and
although the backend is loaded with three repeats of the Google Gears
message at the top, its still navigable with CSS off. The Google Gears
messages are a nuisance, but all links to actions are meaningful and
not likely to cause confusion.

In 2.7, apart from loss of functionality, the dashboard screen
reads ...
"Add new post, add new page, comments" right below the "welcome
username, turbo, logout". Then it gets really confusing..
"Dashboard - dashboard - dashboard- askismet stats-posts-posts-add new-
edit-tags-categories-media-media-add new-edit" etc etc.
Every top-level menu title is repeated and none of the links have
titles (which make all the "edit", "add new" and other repeated
phrases difficult to interpret).

Between corporate clients who have JavaScript disabled at the firewall
and disabled folk using assistive technologies, either I (or someone)
will have to write a new admin theme that completely changes the
current output or these folk will have to stay with 2.6.3 until
changes are made in the future.

The old UI was not great and had its problems, granted, but the new UI
is really problematic. I personally love the fact that its now quicker
to add new posts and am pleased that the threaded comments and backend
admin of comments is available, but such heavy reliance on Ajax
combined with loss of accessibility is a real problem.