[wp-testers] Posts still stalling when I hit publish...

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Mon Nov 10 06:43:58 GMT 2008

The ping services are not exactly the problem that causes the long
publishing pauses.

The pings are supposed to be sent by the WP Cron system, However, in order
to kick off the cron, a HTTP request needs to be made to your WP install,
by WP itself, If for some reason, The HTTP connection blocks (ie. it waits
for the cron to return the entire document) then you'll be sitting on the
publishing screen waiting for it to ping all the sites..

The way its supposed to work, Is that the cron will kick off, and that WP
will discard the connection straight away and finish loading, Meanwhile,
in the background, the WP Cron request has gone ahead and pinged all the
sites for you without slowing your page load down (Thats a 'non-blocking'
request)

So while the pinging shows the problem, Its not the actual cause of the
problem, Allthough, cleaning out that ping srvices list would be a good
idea eitherway IMO.. Are they even needed these days?