[wp-testers] rewrite issues with 1&1 hosting.

Chris gaarai at gaarai.com
Tue Nov 4 16:14:49 GMT 2008

I think the cPanel upgrade may have caused this problem. The change to
the .htaccess file is obscure and would seem to be produced by some
automated process. We had one of our Hostgator account's .htaccess files
mangled in the same fashion very early this morning.

I'm tempted to write-protect the file so that it cannot be mangled by
any future automated processes, but I'm quite certain that the process
that does this has greater privileges than I do and would just mangle
the file anyways.

So for anyone getting mysterious 500 errors on your hosted WordPress
sites today, check that .htaccess file and make sure that it hasn't been
changed.

- Chris Jean