[wp-testers] CITE attribute of BLOCKQUOTE stripped by TinyMCE

Andrew Ozz admin at laptoptips.ca
Fri May 16 18:47:10 GMT 2008

Andy Skelton wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Rick Beckman <rick.beckman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Strip Microsoft Word tags if we must, but valid HTML -- especially when
>> posted by an admin -- should be respected.
>
> We used to ship TinyMCE configured with unrestricted HTML because we
> do the security filtering with KSES in PHP. Looks like it's now back
> to the default set of XHTML tags and attributes, which may lack some
> combinations which are valid. You can file a trac ticket, ping Andrew
> Ozz, or write a plugin to filter the TinyMCE init array
> (tiny_mce_before_init).

The stripping of cite from the <blockquote> tag will be fixed with the
next TinyMCE update. If can be fixed now by specifying:

'extended_valid_elements' => 'blockquote[cite]',

in the init array in tiny_mce_config.php, or by making a really simple
plugin:

function fix_cite($args) {
   $args['extended_valid_elements'] = 'blockquote[cite]';
   return $args;
)
add_filter( 'tiny_mce_before_init', 'fix_cite' );