[wp-testers] HTML "code" tag in the Visual Editor?

Rick Beckman rick.beckman at gmail.com
Sun May 4 21:59:09 GMT 2008

Semantically, the PRE tag does not denote code, block-level or otherwise.
All it does is, as it says, preserve line breaks. The CODE tag is a semantic
tag which states, unsurprisingly, that the enclosed text is code.

Inline code gets the CODE tag; blocks of code get PRE & CODE, as used for a
few code examples here:
http://rickbeckman.org/how-to-intent-the-first-line-of-your-paragraphs-in-wordpress-25/

The lack of being able to use the CODE tag is a big omission. (The lack of
being able to easily create Definition Lists [DL, DT, and DD tags] in
TinyMCE is another omission I'm not at all happy about. At the very least,
there should be an "Wrap with Tag" option -- highlight some text, select
that option, and type in a tag. :-)

--
Rick Beckman

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Alexander Beutl <xel at netgra.de> wrote:

> Which means we would need both. And it would be nice to be able to set
> some
> attributes too...
>
> I have both inside the plugin while I haven't added any tiny buttons and
> have to admit I have no idea about how this has to be done for real tags
> (I
> could manage it for shortcodes when I'd spend a bit more time on it -
> tried
> it in a way more is done but my JS knowledge isn't anywhere near my php
> knowledge so I didn't really understand how and what is done... (I am able
> to use jQuery - and thats it. I am able to use some other stuff too - but
> always need to look it up)
>
> 2008/5/4 Peter Westwood <peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk>:

Rick Beckman
http://rickbeckman.org/