[wp-testers] Page Ordering

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Thu May 1 00:00:22 GMT 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Andrew Ozz <admin at laptoptips.ca> wrote:
> > I would publish it as plugin anyway, since I don't belive in putting this
> in
> > core. I would be honored by any adoption into core, of course, but I don't
> > belive it would be good. Better to have 10 different approaches
> > with 10 different plugins to fit all needs than to have one core approach
> > which can not fit all needs.
> >

>  I'm actually not sure if there are sites with that many pages... Possibly.
> But having lots of categories is not that uncommon for larger blogs with
> many authors. And they are also hierarchical like the pages, so perhaps the
> plugin could handle both pages and categories listing.

We have  many blogs on wordpress.com with hundreds of pages. I think a
handful are over a thousand.  Yes, people are crazy.

We need something in core WP to make Manage->Pages (and categories)
more efficient.  Requesting the top-level pages, paging those, and
AJAX loading children on request seems a viable approach.  Another
suggestion is to focus management around search since someone with so
many pages probably wouldn't be able to manage them even with paged
output and demand loading of children.