[wp-testers] Gallery CSS/xHTML

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Fri Mar 28 03:30:18 GMT 2008

Spencer Lavery wrote:
> Instead of forcing each image to be wrapped in a DL, add some new WP
> template tags for targeting the gallery specifically inside the loop,
> for example:

I think Andy already articulated the point really well, but it might
also help to take a step back and think of shortcodes like little magic
expansions.

The most popular shortcode we've done thus far is a youtube one, which
is like [youtube http://youtube.com/?v=aoeuaoue]. This gets expanded,
just like the gallery shortcode, into a magic snippet on display. A
blogger can easily move it around their post, copy and paste it, and
modify its arguments. In the [youtube] case there's just a single
argument, but others might have more complex ones, like the gallery
shortcode.

Hardcoding the magic expansions into the theme would be really
inflexible for both the blogger and themer. This combines the best of
blogger ease-of-use with theme control, as they can override any aspect
already.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://ma.tt | http://automattic.com