[wp-testers] Gallery CSS/xHTML

Rick Beckman rick.beckman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 01:53:52 GMT 2008

+1. In my several years' experience with phpBB (experience which has helped
a lot in using WordPress), one of the big things I learned was *Don't force
markup upon users.* Content, programming, markup, and style should be kept
separate -- each of them catering to a different crowd (authors, plugin
devs, themers, etc.), and each shouldn't have to step on the others' toes to
do his or her job.

--
Rick Beckman

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Spencer Lavery <phobea at gmail.com> wrote:

> The CSS and xHTML should be part of the 'Default' theme, or any theme
> for that matter - injecting them within the post not only forces users
> to edit the core files in order to change their appearance, but it's
> also adding <style> tags, and inline CSS (<br style="clear:all;">)
> which is breaking validation.
>
> Instead of forcing each image to be wrapped in a DL, add some new WP
> template tags for targeting the gallery specifically inside the loop,
> for example:
>
> <?php if (have_gallery()) : ?>
> <dl class="gallery">
> <?php while (have gallery()) : the_gallery(); ?>
> <dt><?php the_thumbnail(); ?>
> <?php endwhile; ?>
> <?php endif; ?>
>
> This could allow themers to pass variables such as thumbnail size
> directly into the template tag, i.e:
>
> <?php the_thumbnail('width=120&height=120&crop=1'); ?>
>
> This way of doing things would also give themers much, much more
> flexibility with using gallerys in other areas of the theme such as
> the sidebar. Another benefit would be the ability to target
> the_thumbnail, the_medium_image and the_fullsize_image respectively.
>
> I apologise if this is already in production, I just feel that the new
> Gallery is such an awesome feature that it deserves to be easier to
> use, and easier to work with for themers and standard users alike.
>
> Spencer Lavery.

Rick Beckman
http://rickbeckman.org/
http://fellowship-hall.com/