[wp-testers] What are these files?

zamoose at gmail.com zamoose at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 14:20:05 GMT 2008

On 6/16/08, WordPress <wordpress at anekostudios.com> wrote:
>  >>In any event, unless they keep cropping up, you likely can safely
> ignore them.<<
>
> Yes, that' what my host said.  (And BTW - if the PHP/CGI stuff was
> directed at me, the stuff you said about shared hosting and PHP as CGI
> *was* correct. However, I'm no longer using that host - so I can't do
> further follow-ups with them :) )
>
> I can't recall *what* it was that was causing it - like I said it was
> quite a few years ago.  But when I figured it out, it stopped dumping
> the stuff onto my environment.  But yes, you can delete them - they're
> more of an "error log" for the host to look at when you send it to
> them.  They don't need to really be there.

No, it was directed up-thread.

Just so everyone reading knows, there's no way that the core.* files
would be related to MySQL in 99.9% of hosting environments where YOU
are not responsible for running/adminning the MySQL server yourself.
If you see a corefile in your web content directory, it's a
nigh-certainty that it's due to your PHP CGI.

And those pid files are the way the system keeps track of which
process number/id a MySQL server is currently running under so that
properly-configured admin scripts or init scripts can
start/stop/shutdown/restart/etc. the MySQL daemon.

All of this is true for *NIX systems, of course.  If you're seeing
these issues on Windows, boy, you have other problems.

--
-Doug
http://literalbarrage.org/blog/