[wp-testers] plugin updating...

Dan Milward dan at instinct.co.nz
Wed Jun 4 04:22:31 GMT 2008

Hi Dion,

Thanks for the email.

If you could come up with a few hooks then that would be awesome. I'm
asking because we create plugins and I think it would be useful - the
problem we are having right now is that people can add additional php
files to our plugin to extend the core features.

So when the update the plugin from WordPress extend they loose their
work. If we were making a new plugin from scratch then this wouldn't be
a problem and we would do it differently but because we already have
lots of users I'm not sure we can do it.

As an interim what we're going to try and do is just disable auto
updates from happening but allow people to manually download updates and
do it themselves. For powerful plugins I think this would be extremely cool.

Ciao,

Dan