[wp-testers] PHP 4.3 for WP 2.5

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Sat Jan 26 03:56:58 GMT 2008

Matt wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2008 7:17 PM, Dan Milward <dan at instinct.co.nz> wrote:
>

>> I don't think most people use PHP 5. Most web hosts I have researched
>> still use a stable version of PHP 4.x.x because PHP 5 has not been out
>> long enough.... just my 2c worth :))
>>

> It's been out for 3 years, and PHP 4 development has ended!

Factual statements, both of them. Recent statistics have placed PHP 4.2
at below 2% of all PHP installations, the most popular being 4.3 and
4.4. PHP 5 is creeping up there, depending on where you get your stats.
I think most shared hosts do allow you the option of either PHP4 or
PHP5. I have found several that don't, but not as good as the others
that do.

I think the people who are going to complain the most are those on
dedicated servers, which made it difficult to upgrade over the past, say
many years that PHP 4.2 came out. I think it is fascinating that people
of the small minority are still running 4.2.

After 8/8/08, no updates, including security patches will come out for
PHP 4.4.x branch. This means that users running those versions will have
to upgrade or risk being exploited when a security hole is found in PHP
4.4.x.

--

Jacob Santos

http://www.santosj.name - blog
http://funcdoc.wordpress.com - WordPress Documentation Blog/Guide Licensed under GPLv2

Also known as darkdragon and santosj on WP trac.