[wp-testers] No more Save and Continue Editing button?

Dave J. (Scoop0901) scoop0901 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 14:30:20 GMT 2008

WP allows two people to open the same document at the same time using the
online WYSIWYG editor? That's scary. Maybe something ought be added to see
if more than one person has a post or page open for editing, and if so, not
allow -- or allow "read-only" mode -- to the person trying to open the
document while it is already open.

We are using Windows Live Writer for content creation and editing for a new
site. There are about 20 people working on the site live at any time, and
around 40 people involved in the total project.  We've found several times,
and now have it noted in our Intranet notes, that if someone has an item
(page or post) open in Windows Live Writer, that the post cannot be opened
using the WP editor (GUI, not sure about the code-only version, but that
should respond the same way).

I did find a workaround, as there have been several times where I was
working remotely, but not on any of my laptops or desktops, and once, from a
friend's house. At my friend's house, since I didn't have access to Windows
Live Writer, I hit REFRESH several times in IE and the page reloaded, gave
an error (I forget it at the moment), but after two of three refreshes, you
can view the content.  As Alex noted, I will just reiterate: I wouldn't
suggest making any changes in this mode, as it's likely you will not make
changes, and possibly screw up things for the person who is doing real work
in another location.

--
-dave
 PGP Public Keys: