[wp-testers] update.php in wp-admin?

Lloyd Budd lloydomattic at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 04:50:49 GMT 2008

On Feb 17, 2008 6:36 PM, [BLT]FQX <qfuxiang at gmail.com> wrote:
> In the plugin page, wp told me that there is a plugin need to be upgraded,
> and a new link to wp-admin/update.php
> The update page needs my FTP information.
> That is odd, because OneClick Installer can do the same thing without any
> FTP support.
> Can any one tell me more about this update.php ?

My guess would be that "OneClick Installer" installer is dependent on
file system permissions, and therefore not as good solution from a
security stand point -- I think not even possible on some hosts. Yes,
looking at http://anirudhsanjeev.org/oneclick-plugin/ chmod 077 the
directory seems to be be how it is acheived.

Cheers,
Lloyd