[wp-testers] Reasoning behind admin navigation?

Paul Gregory paul at gregory.net
Tue Feb 12 15:00:16 GMT 2008

Kirk Steffensen wrote:

> Great.  So, let's change a working backend and break lots of plugins for
> the
> sake of an unvetted set of "usability standards."  Whose usability?

Well, not (in the short term) yours, and there's no reason it should be.

Change is always a usability issue. If you're used to one thing, then of
course it seems odd to change it - but on the whole, these changes seem to
make the initial learning curve smoother for newcomers and make it easier to
expand without overcluttering things.

But I'm amazed that there are people on this list who are unaware that this
is happening! My main interest in joining this list was to get the locations
of the work-in-progress so I could see the new backend and see how it fits
into various plans. I'm sure that the developers of any plugins that depend
on the exact arrangement of the backend are following developments. I read a
couple of WP-related feeds, but I didn't consider myself an expert with
secret knowledge. Whilst I know the specifics hadn't been released, how
exactly is it that people like Kirk are unaware of what is scheduled to be
in the next release of WordPress?

Paul