[wp-testers] Forum questions on testers lists ??

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Dec 23 16:39:23 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Paul Robinson <pablorobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I suppose there is that point, but also although WordPress is GNU licence
> and as such provided with no warranty there is still the point that people
> use WordPress to run income based or extremely important website's. I mean
> look at 10 downing street! As such there should be some sort of support
> method that can get people an answer fairly quickly. Realistically I suppose
> I mean days instead of weeks since hours is nearly impossible. I mean if
> there is no way of making that support method available then it should
> probably be made clear to people who require quick answers that it just
> isn't possible.

Oh, no, it is possible. You can hire somebody to fix your problem.
There's the pros mailing list, the jobs.wordpress.net site, and
several other avenues to find a knowledgeable person to hire.

But the WordPress.org forums are free. Questions are answered by the
community or one of the several knowledgeable people there who do so
out of the goodness of their hearts.

So I guess it just strikes me as funny every time somebody brings this
up. You're using a free product to make money or run an extremely
important website, and yet get annoyed when you can't get help for
no-charge from volunteers and the people who's software you're using,
again, for free? Really? How entitled can you get?

My point is that if you use free software and then also expect free
high-quality support as well, you're more than a little deluded. This
is a general principle, not specific to WordPress. RedHat Enterprise
is open source, but getting a support license ain't cheap, you know.
But if you do want to roll it yourself, you can always go with Centos.

-Otto