[wp-testers] Forum questions on testers lists ??

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Dec 23 16:06:13 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Mattias Tengblad <mst at eyesx.com> wrote:
> I'm with you on this, however I still think a forum is the best place for
> support because like you say it makes reading/searching for known problems
> and general questions more open to everyone. The problem with this is that
> the attendance of people with knowledge is really poor on wp.org and if you
> even get an answer on your question, 7 times out of 10 its a really impudent
> answer like "Ever heard of searching", "Have you even tried looking" aso.
> I'm running  the official Swedish portal and these issues on wp.orgs forum
> has often been pointed out by our members.
>
> In other words, I think the solution for this is a better organized forum
> and support around it on wp.org.

Unfortunately, the questions asked on the wp.org forums are, 7 out of
10 times, the first result in a really obvious Google search. People
simply don't search for their answers. They just don't even try.

Also, the search function on the forums really sucks (a problem with
searching wp.org in general), so people can't search the forums
easily. Google gets better results.

That said, the wp.org support forums really is the best place to go
for this sort of thing, but you have to expect to get answers in
matters of weeks rather than in hours, which is what most people
unrealistically expect. Too often I see people doing stupid things
like posting and then doing three bumps to their own post, in less
than a day. Bumping, that's a good one, because it ensures that nobody
will see your post and therefore will not answer you. Along with
people getting all upset when they don't like the answer to their
question, or treating matter-of-fact statements as insulting and such.

My point is that people suck. ;-)

-Otto