[wp-testers] Change in wp_list_categories?

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Mon Dec 22 19:39:24 GMT 2008

On Dec 22, 2008, at 1:31 PM, Jennifer Hodgdon wrote:

> I finally upgraded my WP sites to 2.7 today (I know, a bit late,
> I've been busy), and in one of my sites, I had problems due to a
> change to the wp_list_categories function.
>
> *snip*
> But what I was wondering is, was this change intentional? We should
> probably at least document it, or else (which I think is preferable)
> fix it back to the way it used to be.
>
> Thoughts?

This type of thing is an unfortunate tendency with WP upgrades.  I
firmly believe that the WordPress community should be much more
careful of changing the output of existing functions unless there is a
specific, compelling reason to change such.  The main victims of these
types of things are theme and plugin designers (not to mention end
users of those themes and plugins....)

If we really want to change the output of an existing function, it's
best to either add a new parameter/switch, or create a new function
and deprecate the old one.

So yes, I believe it should be considered a bug, and changed back.

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider
<http://striderweb.com/>