[wp-testers] Does auto update deactivate plugins?

Kirk M kmb42vt at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 17:51:04 GMT 2008

Ideally, that would be true but with all the various combination of
server set ups/WordPress configurations this is not often the case.

In my experience in helping out other WP bloggers when their upgrades go
bad, I'd have to say that close to 90% of the problems in upgrading
(milestone releases) were caused by attempting to overwrite the
"wp-admin" and "wp-includes" directories (with all their respective
sub-directories) rather than deleting these directories first and then
uploading the new ones from the next version. And nearly 100% of those
problems were fixed by going back in and deleting the "wp-admin" and
"wp-includes" directories and re-uploading them. Ideally overwriting
these directories should work with no problem but in practice, it seldom
does (even the instructions for upgrading at Wordpress.org says to
delete those two directories first).

I could be wrong but if I remember correctly, the auto-update feature
overwrites any files/directories that need updating. For the minor "in
between" security/bug fix releases, this is fine.

But with major milestones, whole directories/sub-directories are
replaced and if overwriting during the core auto-update is the current
way of doing things then I would definitely do this type of upgrade
manually.

But to answer your question directly, since the larger portion of WP
upgrades are those minor ".# " security/bug fix updates that come out
between milestones, encouraging upgrading and promoting a more secure
blog is exactly what the new auto-upgrade feature accomplishes. But I
think it's important for all WP bloggers to realize that it's still very
necessary to know how to work/manually upgrade their install via FTP
because there are many times when that's all they'll have to rely on.
The new core auto-updater is not a replacement for FTP, it's a supplement.

Dissenting views welcome. (and sorry for the long reply...I'm a wordy
bast***)