[wp-testers] Does auto update deactivate plugins?

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Sun Dec 7 05:37:00 GMT 2008

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Kirk M <kmb42vt at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know this was asked before but I've forgotten. In the past I've always
> deactivated all my plugins manually before updating the core. Now I find
> myself using 2.7's auto-update feature the same way--the second thing I do
> before updating is to bulk deactivate all my plugins (first is to backup
> DB). So...
>
> Does running 2.7's new core auto update automatically deactivate plugins
> before updating and reactivate them after it's finished or does that still
> have to be done manually?

During the upgrade, your blog is put in maintenance mode and loading
is halted at the beginning of wp-settings.php.  Nothing really runs,
including plugins.  The only thing allowed to run is the DB upgrade,
which takes care of making sure plugins are not loaded.  You don't
need to deactivate plugins unless you like turning them back on
one-by-one after upgrading to isolate any breakage they might cause.