[wp-testers] Re: Is this possible....

Kirk M kmb42vt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 20:05:02 GMT 2008

Wow, this is getting to be quite an issue.

Jeff, didn't this exact same issue came up when plugin update
notification was first introduced (2.5 maybe?-not sure anymore)? I seem
to remember the same type of go-around. Anyway, I guess the whole thing
boils down to whether or not the developers consider this an issue or
not. Obviously it is to many users. For myself, I like having the
notifications for any installed plugin I have as each one represents a
(possible) liability that a hacker could possibly exploit no matter how
remote the chance. On the other hand, if I find that I haven't used a
certain inactive plugin for quite some time then I'll delete it. But
that's me and I'm certainly not everyone.

I would more than support adding a new option (check box?) into the
"Inactive" section of the Plugins page that would allow a user to shut
off update notifications for any plugin stored in the "Inactive"
sections. It would be a bulk action. All plugins in the "Inactive"
section would be affected either way.

Perhaps someone could work up a plugin (sorry, I'm not gifted in that
direction I'm afraid) that would add this type of option and then submit
a ticket to have it added to the core for either a 2.7.* update or for
2.8? Sound reasonable?