[wp-testers] Re: Is this possible....

Kirk M kmb42vt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 18:06:37 GMT 2008

If you have plugins installed, either activated or deactivated (or
"Inactive"), all installed plugins need to be kept updated irregardless.
All the reasons have been given already and are very true indeed.

Here's my own example...I keep my "standard" active plugins slimmed down
to less than 10. these plugins are activated all the time however, I
also keep "WP Security Scan", "Clean Options" and "Maintenance Mode" on
standby in the "Inactive" section of the plugins page. I don't need
these three plugins activated all the time and I leave them in the
"Inactive" section so they aren't affected when I deactivate/reactivate
my "standard" plugins for an upgrade or whatever. But just because I
keep those other 3 plugins "Inactive" does not mean I don't want to keep
them updated--I most certainly do. So when it comes time to use them I'm
assured it's the most up to date versions without having to activate
them first just to find out.

Simple rules:

If you have plugins you leave "Inactive" until you need them then those
plugins need to be updated on a regular basis, just like active plugins.

If you have "Inactive" plugins that you simply don't use, get rid of them.

If you have "Inactive" plugins that you keep around "just-in-case" but
haven't used for a couple-three months, chances are you won't use them
at all so it's safe to delete them for now. You can always get them back
later.

The slimmer your install, the better. :D