[wp-testers] "Enable Gears" button not working in Google Chrome

Kirk M kmb42vt at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 16:19:37 GMT 2008

Is there a Google's Chrome user amongst our testers here? I've noticed
that if Google Gears is not enabled on a site, "pushing" the "Enable
Gears" button, when viewing in Chrome, does not work--nothing happens.
This used to work fine and the ironic thing is that the WP 2.7 Admin
renders best when using either Firefox and now Chrome (except minor
aliasing problems on the buttons) out of all the 4 main browsers today.

This is what I get from the Chrome's Java Console when I "Push" the
"Enable Gears" button:

"Uncaught TypeError: Object [object HTMLObjectElement] has no method
'getPermission' http://sitename.***/wp-admin/js/wp-gears.js?ver=20080905
(line 21)"

This call out is the same for all three sites I tested this on. All are
currently running WP-2.7 RC1-r10041.

Could someone more "in the know" test this in the latest "Official"
build of Chrome-0.4.154.25 (or the "Dev Channel" build 0.4.154.31) and
see what they think. I don't know if this is a Chrome problem of a WP
2.7 problem to be honest about it. And I'm sure Chrome is going to get
much more popular sooner than people think. It works really slick with
the WP 2.7 Admin.