[wp-testers] Re: Bugs/Fixes, Security Requests

g30rg3_x g30rg3x at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 02:03:01 GMT 2008

Hi again,

First of all, i don't like the way this discussion is going so i won't
reply directly to your comment.

Second, this is the normal security through obscurity discussion and
from previous attempt to you promote this, i know that this won't
happen ever... the real final stab i get it at the ticket #7545, this
was my last (final) attempt to promote it.

Third, you are considering the "script kiddie" / "spammer" scenarios,
not the real ones which involves real crackers not just people taking
exploits from milw0rm.com and spamming all over the web.
There are some scenarios, which involves particular use of sensitive
information (like the version of the product and username) but they
are limited to a lot of variables and sometimes they play a minor role
over the intrusion, so even that your 3 scenarios are right, there are
scenarios were sensitive information are used are still there, just
that they play such a little/minor role in the intrusion that are
often underestimated

Summarizing...
i didn't say they play a "higher" role on your "harder" security
infrastructure, they play a little/minor/nano role and also we are not
only discussing enumeration of version (here) this type of
vulnerabilities are actually enrolled with full path disclosure and
username enumeration, there are tactics to avoid disclosing this
information so really man, if you don't want to see it as security
then don't see it as security see it as privacy... i don't want people
to easily get this information just as you don't want spammers to get
your email address (crappy comparison but reflects my point).

Best Regards Otto.