[wp-testers] WP 2.6 running slow

Kirk M kmb42vt at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 17:35:32 GMT 2008

No, I'm afraid not nor did it help on one of my clients sites but thanks
for info anyway. After testing thoroughly, I updated both my sites to an
early branch of 2.6.1 (r8511) a few days ago which apparently fixed the
problem and I have recently upgraded again to 2.6.1 r8524. For all
intensive purposes, the 2.6.1 builds have solved the problem.

One side effect worth noting is the manual rebuilding time of my XML
Sitemap (via the Google XML Sitemaps plugin). With WordPress 2.5.1, the
rebuild time averaged around 2-4 seconds. With 2.6, rebuild time
increased to an average of 10 to 15 seconds but with the 2.6.1 builds,
rebuild time is back down to 2 to 4 secs once again. Memory usage was
the same though (around 21Mb's) however, deactivating that particular
plugin had no effect on the Admin problem itself.

Another thing worth noting was that deactivating all the plugins sped
things up quite a bit with 2.6 however, doing the same thing in 2.6.1,
the difference in speed of the Admin is negligible whether all plugins
are activated or not. The admin remains quick and responsive. The only
solid thing I can say at this point is that no matter how I reactivated
the plugins as in what order, one at a time, separate groups of plugins,
whatever, the ultimate result was the more plugins that were activated,
the slower the response of the Admin. The 2.6.1 builds do not exhibit
this problem at all and neither did 2.5.1. The only other thing I can
say for use now is that the more the 2.6 Admin was used, the slower it got.

And just to say I did, here's a list of the current plugins on all 3
sites (updated to the latest version of course):

Admin Drop Down Menu
Akismet
All in One SEO Pack
FeedBurner FeedSmith