[wp-testers] Page Ordering

Andrew Ozz admin at laptoptips.ca
Wed Apr 30 16:33:44 GMT 2008

Stephen Rider wrote:
>>> The difference here is that WordPress _does_ have a way to order
>>> pages in core
>>
>> This is not a way to *change* page ordering but to create pages at a
>> specific "place" (which can be changes like everything else by editing
>> the
>> page)
>
> To quote the actual Page Edit screen in WP 2.5.1:
>
> "Pages are usually ordered alphabetically, but you can put a number
> above to change the order pages appear in. (We know this is a little
> janky, it'll be better in future releases.)"
>
> So officially there is intent to make this "janky" process easier.
> Integrating this plugin would be an excellent way to do just that.

In 99.99% of cases, pages need to be ordered _once_ when creating the
site/pages hierarchy. After that moving a page around especially from
one parent page to another, is not a very good idea. It needs 301
redirects, etc. and can get really messy if many pages are moved many times.

IMHO setting the initial order of a Page when creating it needs to be a
bit clearer. For example merging the Page Parent and Page Order menus
and showing the current page order values in the drop-down list of
parents would make it a lot easier to place the new Page exactly where
needed.

On the other hand, the admin needs a better way to display tree-like
listings, like pages and categories. If you only have 50-60 of them, the
Manage -> Pages and Manage -> Categories work well, but what if there
are 500-600, or several thousands?

Displaying only the "top" parents and then fetching the children with
AJAX when the parent is clicked would be a way of improving it. Storing
the listing in the db ready for displaying would probably be another way.