[wp-testers] Page Ordering

Jennifer Hodgdon yahgrp at poplarware.com
Wed Apr 30 15:16:42 GMT 2008

>>> The difference here is that WordPress _does_ have a way to order
>>> pages in core
>>
>> This is not a way to *change* page ordering but to create pages at a
>> specific "place" (which can be changes like everything else by editing
>> the
>> page)
>
> To quote the actual Page Edit screen in WP 2.5.1:
>
> "Pages are usually ordered alphabetically, but you can put a number
> above to change the order pages appear in. (We know this is a little
> janky, it'll be better in future releases.)"

Here's a thought. Without implementing complex drag-and-drop, another
easy way to change the page ordering in the admin back end would be to
display an editable column of the existing page order numbers on the
Manage Pages screen. You could update numbers for a few pages at a go,
click "Submit", and voila.

Of course, this Manage Pages screen was already deemed to be too
cluttered to have room for the crucial ID field, so probably the
Powers that Be would be opposed to adding this column too... but it
would be useful.

     --Jennifer
--
Jennifer Hodgdon * Poplar ProductivityWare
www.poplarware.com

Drupal/WordPress Sites, Themes, Modules/Plugins
Custom Web Programming, Web Databases
Modeling/Analysis/Palm OS Software