[wp-testers] Page Ordering

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Wed Apr 30 14:53:52 GMT 2008

On Apr 30, 2008, at 3:01 AM, Alexander Beutl wrote:

> You know - permalinks should be permanent - but they aren't when you
> push
> pages into being subpages. I am asking my clients to speak with me
> about
> each structural change they are planning, before doing it.

You can change page order without changing permalinks.  You can also
change the order that the pages show in a page list.  For example, on
my blog "Home" was for some reason the fourth page down the list,
which bugged the heck out of me.  I just used this plugin to move it
up to the top.  I reordered the whole list without changing any

That's all academic though, because...

>> The difference here is that WordPress _does_ have a way to order
>> pages in core
>
> This is not a way to *change* page ordering but to create pages at a
> specific "place" (which can be changes like everything else by
> editing the
> page)

To quote the actual Page Edit screen in WP 2.5.1:

"Pages are usually ordered alphabetically, but you can put a number
above to change the order pages appear in. (We know this is a little
janky, it'll be better in future releases.)"

So officially there is intent to make this "janky" process easier.
Integrating this plugin would be an excellent way to do just that.

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider
<http://striderweb.com/>