[wp-testers] Page Ordering

Alexander Beutl xel at netgra.de
Wed Apr 30 08:01:37 GMT 2008

> Logically that last statement /might /cause a little retaliation therefore
> I might just ignore replies to this thread from now on ;)

You may or may not - whatever you like. I am not willing to do any fights
about what WordPress is able to being used to - I already know it an I am
using it as CMS too - so your statement is perfectly correct, which doesn't
make mine wrong, as I only said it is *first of all* a blogging platform
(which doesn't mean it can not be used for more stuff).

> Logically I can't see how or why changing your page order would damage
> your SEO.

Because clients are stupid most of the time and will push page "foo" to be a
subpage of "bar" when it first was not and they will change the virtual
"folder structure" whenever they like to. After having moved it it might
take half a day and they will rename the title and put totally different
content in it while the slug stays the same. They would have created a new
page when they wouldn't have been able to move the old one... A month later
they will call you up and ask you why the traffic of the webpage has reduced
(the moved page was well visited before) and why there are so many 404
Errors (if they are fit enogh to check the logs).

You know - permalinks should be permanent - but they aren't when you push
pages into being subpages. I am asking my clients to speak with me about
each structural change they are planning, before doing it.

The difference here is that WordPress _does_ have a way to order pages in
> core

This is not a way to *change* page ordering but to create pages at a
specific "place" (which can be changes like everything else by editing the
page), while the thing which is wanted is somewhat like a special page wich
is dedicated for moving pages around. I do not know about a page which
allows any changes to the stuff you saved while being in the "write page"
page besides the "edit page" page.
Remember we aren't speaking about normal page ordering but about page
*re*ordering.

Do not get me wrong: I do like the plugin - it is nice that it is available
and I wrote something simmilar for joomla someday (never published it - was
special programming for a client and since the copyrights are held by the
company I wrote it in I am not able to to publish it myselfe).

The only thing I say is: There are many more WordPress installations needing
for example something like a contact form (which isn't included in
WordPress) then there are that would need page**re**ordering.

And logically WordPress is a whole lot more then a blogging platform for
> millions of people whether old school users like to admit it or not ;-P

I didn't say anything else - I only said it is *first of all* a blogging
platform.
But that doesn't change anything in my eyes - the contact form would be
needed for CMS usage anyway while page*re*ordering isn't needed in most
cases (you would think people are able to think about what they do *when*
they do it - and not later).

This reminds me of one of Matt's posts from years ago:
> http://ma.tt/?s=bike

Your right. We'll see maybe someone opens a ticket and maybe someone will do
the needed changes. If someone really does it - hey I can live with a page
ordering in core as well as I can without it.

Cheers
Alex