[wp-testers] Page Ordering

Alexander Beutl xel at netgra.de
Mon Apr 28 12:31:26 GMT 2008

You know somthing?
WordPress is - first of all - a blogging plattform which has the capaibities
to handle so called "pages" because there is a need for them (only think
about impressum and stuff).

Even when you use it as a sort of CMS you will not have to rearange your nav
structure very often (if you do, there will be some issues with SEO)

Anyway it is nice to have a plugin which can handle this - but one shouldn't
blow up core by adding things 95% or more will never need.

There are many great plugins - some with a very broader spread usage - which
are and will not be included in core for that reason:
Keep it small and simple - keep it usable.

What do you think the backend would look like if you integrate thousands of
plugins into core just because they are usefull for ~5% of the users? It
would be a pure desaster. Thinking about size: today WordPress takes about 4
or 5 MBs if you don't count wp-content. My WP-Content needs about 8 MB
today. If all that would be integrated into core the core would need 10+ MB
and the plugins I use are different from the ones you use and someone else
will use totaly different plugin too.
This would add up to an enormous overhead.

I wouldn't integrate this one into core as I wouldn't do with any of the
plugins I am using today.