[wp-testers] 2.5: Custom Fields and Listing Stuff

Shelly at Foolish Visions shelly at foolishvisions.com
Fri Apr 4 01:20:13 GMT 2008

Hey all - I looked in Trac, but I didn't see anything for this.  I
wanted to post here and ask first, before I posted in Trac - I don't
want to duplicate anything.

Okay, so I'm updating a client's site from WP 2.1 to 2.5.  Right now,
I'm testing everything out on localhost, so everything I'm seeing is on
my own machine.  I fully expected issues between these two versions -
which is why I'm doing it locally first :)

One of the things this theme has is a custom sidebar.  A piece of code
looks for Pages with a certain custom meta key/value pair to determine
if the link should show up in the sidebar.  However, when I moved
everything to 2.5 (I backed up his database, and moved it to my local
machine, then upgraded to 2.5) ALL custom fields were lost.  Now the
only ones that exist in the database are podPress ones.

So I tried recreating them by hand, and *nothing* shows up.  I write in
the key, give it a value, save the custom field, the page loads it up
(or seems to) and then I go back to add another, and nothing is there
but the podPress key/value pair.  So I tried it again - same thing
happened.  It acted like it was taking, but when the page reloads, it's
gone.

So I look in the database, and now I have - it seems - two new key/value
pairs, but they are *both* the same thing: "_wp_page_template" (key) and
"default" (value).  Neither of which is what I entered as the actual key
or value.  So it seems to be converting whatever I enter as Plain Jane
and showing nothing.

I've entered the database itself and renamed the mysterious newbies to
what they should be, and the key finally shows up in the list when I
Write, but it still doesn't take.

Also, did I miss what happened to wp_list_pages and wp_list_categories?
  I tried to get around this by using these two calls, with
"include=2.3.4"...etc (which was fun, since ID's have been removed - I
had to look in the database for those ID #s) - and it doesn't work.
It's like the include/exclude feature has been obliterated.  I've been
looking on the WP site to see if it's maybe been replaced with
something, but I can't find any info on it.

If anyone can nudge me in the right place to find out what to do to fix
this (or if I should submit to trac), I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

~Shelly