[wp-testers] Incorrect Username / Incorrect Password

Michael Clark 031737d98884bcc7ae545aff35358b23.wp-testers at planetmike.com
Thu Apr 3 15:33:27 GMT 2008

At 3:49 PM +0100 4/3/08, Daniel Woolstencroft wrote:
>Is there an argument for _not_ having the default username as Admin? Maybe
>as one of the install steps we ask what the default username should be? Or
>include it in wp_config...?

Yes, if the default WP super user is not the regular and expected
"admin" user login, then an attacker will have a more difficult time
hacking and cracking your WordPress. If anything, automated attacks
would be much more likely to fail. In an ideal world, you would never
post anything as the admin. Your day to day blogging and commenting
would be done as a regular author user, not as user with admin
privileges. Mike

--

Michael Clark
Upgrade Your Blog

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
  - Martin Luther King Jr.