[wp-testers] Re: Zombie Couriers

Dave J. (Scoop0901) scoop0901 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 23:00:40 GMT 2007

On 9/27/07, Lloyd Budd <lloydomattic at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/27/07, Travis Snoozy <ai2097 at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 10:33:19 -0700, "Lloyd Budd"
> > <lloydomattic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> In theory I'm the test-lead-like person, but in reality I'm stretched
> really thin.
> Hopefully, as WordPress continues to mature and the number of people
> participating increases, we all have a better opportunity to deal with
> things from a higher level.
>
> People are always putting forward opportunities to collaborate. There
> has been a few threads related to test automation, but few responses
> that actually present how they have done something with the work.
>
> Lend more than our voices,
> --
> Lloyd Budd | Digital Entomologist | | Skype:foolswisdom
> WordPress.com | WordPress.org | Automattic.com

To get those increasing numbers, though, Lloyd, many who want to -- and do
-- but are often shot down by folks who have "been around longer" (perhaps
publicly, perhaps realistically, perhaps both), and sometimes are shot down
so hard they flame out all the way down and into the ground before finally
burning out.  Sadly, it's happened too often.

In other cases, some have actually left the WP community to venture off in
other directions, sometimes, if you read their blogs, because of "Founder's
Syndrome" within WP.  How far does it spread?  I can't say, but many times
ideas are brought up, one person shoots it down, and after that, all
discussion -- if not seemingly forbidden -- is entirely negative and the
person reminded that the idea was previously nixed.

A community, at least healthy, thriving, vibrant communities, rely on
conversation, discussion, and ideas.  It's that funky forward-thinking
thing.  That "outside the box" thing.  Just because one person -- regardless
of who they are or what "rank" or "title" they hold -- says, "I don't like
it" -- does that mean the entire community should "not" like the idea, as
well?  No.  That's not community.  That's some of what I've seen expressed
here, in this thread, and because of some past experiences, but also because
of many I speak with in real-life, in IM, via email, on the phone, or,
sometimes, simply follow by reading their blogs, it's happened many times in
the past.

Not everyone comes off expressing themselves eloquently.  I can, if I
choose.  I often don't choose to do so, for a variety of reasons, and chief
among them, I'm too blasted old to care if someone doesn't like how I word
something.  If they don't like it, well good.  Close your eyes.  If you do
like it, great, get me more coffee.  But to broaden the community, the
"community" that exists must be welcoming.  Where does that begin?  Or does
that responsibility -- the responsibility of ensuring others accept you and
your thoughts -- rest on HOW new folks, regardless of experience -- express
their thoughts or word their findings?

On that note, it's dinner time here in Philadelphia. That means my coffee
mug is being refilled. Y'all have a great one. Even if you don't agree with
me.

--
-dave
  PGP Public Keys:

| Dave Jackson    Philadelphia, PA    http://blog.scoop0901.net |
|  "A journalist's job is to comfort the afflicted and afflict  |
|       the comfortable." -Finley Peter Dunne (1867-1936)       |
   (c)2007 by Dave Jackson (Scoop0901). All rights reserved.