[wp-testers] Re: Zombie Couriers

Lloyd Budd lloydomattic at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 19:18:19 GMT 2007

On 9/27/07, Travis Snoozy <ai2097 at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 10:33:19 -0700, "Lloyd Budd"
> <lloydomattic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > The data in the tables was necessary to debug problems with migration
> > to the new tables.
>
> Would renaming the tables after the conversion have been sufficient
> (e.g., it was a matter of not losing the contents)? That might have
> better facilitated the needs of both test and dev, since anything that
> was going to break in the absence of the tables would have.

That would have been a brilliant idea!

> But more important: what would have been the proper way to get that idea
> injected higher up in the chain?

It would have just been a matter of presenting the idea here.

> I knew of the schema change, but I
> wasn't affected by it, so I didn't actually know that the tables
> weren't dropped after update before RC1 (which precluded me making any
> suggestions in time to be useful). Is there a test-lead-like person
> keeping an eye on this kind of stuff (or does "digital entomologist"
> mean you're the guy qualified for that ;)?

In theory I'm the test-lead-like person, but in reality I'm stretched
really thin.
Hopefully, as WordPress continues to mature and the number of people
participating increases, we all have a better opportunity to deal with
things from a higher level.

People are always putting forward opportunities to collaborate. There
has been a few threads related to test automation, but few responses
that actually present how they have done something with the work.

Lend more than our voices,
--
Lloyd Budd | Digital Entomologist | | Skype:foolswisdom
WordPress.com | WordPress.org | Automattic.com