[wp-testers] Re: Zombie Couriers

Travis Snoozy ai2097 at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Sep 27 17:27:35 GMT 2007

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:49:32 -0700, "Lloyd Budd"
<lloydomattic at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/27/07, wp-tester at spamex.com <wp-tester at spamex.com> wrote:
>
> The first rule of any practise, and particularly software development
> is every thing has a context, and no approach is universal.
>
> > I apologize for ruffling feathers, but a very standard best practice
> > is that the Golden Master is the last beta, which was the previous
> > beta with a couple of bug fixes, which was the previous beta with a
> > couple of bug fixes, etc. I just couldn't believe that a change of
> > this magnitude was introduced at release time, when all previous
> > practices pointed to a professional software development workflow.
>
> As has been identified a couple of times now, a release candidate with
> this change was done a week previous.
>
> Further, leaving those tables would not improve the situation, only
> masks the problem.

But the point is valid; an important change like that should've been
first, not last, to maximize testing by -not- masking the problem. My
plugin also broke (for unrelated reasons) on RC1, when it worked with
Beta 1-3 with no changes; I was -very- surprised when I needed to
make a change (albeit only to my test harness).

What's the bug triage system like (more socially-speaking then
technologically)? Is there one? Are bugs (roughly) fixed in order of
triaged priority? I notice that 2.3 shipped with 60 bugs remaining -- I
would like to think that those 60 are some reasonable resemblance of
the "least 60 most important things to fix."* :)

Underlying that, I'd also like to think that there's a reason that
the tables weren't dropped until RC1 -- do you (or anyone else) happen
to know what that reason is?

--
Travis

* The assumption here being that anything important but too large to
get in in time would've been bumped to 2.4 at one of the prior beta
checkpoints.