[wp-testers] wordpress-tests: test automation for WP

Travis Snoozy ai2097 at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 26 03:39:51 GMT 2007

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 13:25:32 +1000, Alex Shiels <alex at automattic.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Those interested in unit testing testing might want to take at
> wordpress-tests, a test automation engine for Wordpress:
>
> 	http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress-tests
>
> Though it can be used for unit testing, strictly speaking it's an
> automated regression test system.  Tests are run against a (more or
> less) fully functioning, freshly installed copy of Wordpress or
> Wordpress-mu, database and all (as opposed to the mock object unit
> testing approach taken by Jacob Santos).

Are there any plans to couple this with xdebug to get code coverage
statistics? Or has anyone thought that far ahead yet? :)

This looks like it's driving things from inside WordPress (which is
fine for unit testing) -- I presently have a minimal set of tests that
drive WordPress from the outside[1], albeit for the specific purpose of
testing my own plugin. I've abstracted out some functional-style
utilities that may be useful[2] (logging in, logging out, making new
posts, etc.), and I'm pretty confident that they could be re-purposed
for more general WordPress functional testing.

Is there anything I can do to help merge these in with your work, to
get testing done from both angles?

<snip>
> Basic docs are in the README.  Please read the warnings carefully and
> keep it well separated from production data - this will nuke your
> database.

That's fairly handy -- I'm running completely external to WP right now,
so I have to separately nuke the DB prior to the run. Being able to do
this automatically is a win for me.

> Currently it uses PHPUnit 3, from phpunit.de, though it's designed to
> be fairly independent of the unit test framework (it can run on
> PHPUnit 1 with minor hacking).
>
> I haven't tried yet, but with a bit of tinkering it can probably run
> Jacob's tests also.

I haven't heard of "Jacob's tests" -- can I get a pointer?

Thanks,

--
Travis