[wp-testers] RE: A Word of Warning! If you're importing Catagories to Tags READ THIS!

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Fri Sep 21 22:04:29 GMT 2007

On Sep 21, 2007, at 5:31 PM, Chuck Adkins wrote:

> I still
> don't like the idea of the categories disappearing though. I don't
> plan on using tags really. I think using Technorati tags are plenty
> for what I do. I guess I just don't get it. Why have tags like this,
> if you can't edit, add, and remove without having a plug in?

Categories are not disappearing.  If you don't want to use tags, and
want to continue using categories -- go right ahead.  The two will
coexist.

> I feel if your going to introduce something, do it right and
> follow, don't half ass program it, an rely on plug in producers to
> finish your job for you.

It's not laziness that drives that decision -- it is caution, and
experience from mistakes made.  Once we add a feature, it is very
hard to take it away.  So even if it is used by 5% of people, that 5%
will kick and scream if we touch it.  Thus we're stuck with its
maintenance burden.  Look at a plugin like UTW.  While a very popular
plugin, it grew too fast, adding a bunch of "edge" features.  It very
quickly became a huge development burden on its author (who calls it
"a multi-headed hydra of a plugin").  WordPress has a very different
approach: figure out the core, do that well, and make it possible for
others to build on top of that core to satisfy edge needs.  We also
took into account the new shorter development cycle.  If a plugin for
WP tags comes out that is super popular and of universal appeal, we
can have that functionality out to all WP users by the end of the
year in WP 2.4

--
Mark Jaquith
http://markjaquith.com/