[wp-testers] WordPress Automatic Upgrade

Alex Günsche ag.ml2007 at zirona.com
Thu Sep 13 08:46:52 GMT 2007

Sorry for the double post, I accidentally hit the "submit" button in the
middle of the first message.

On Wed, 2007-09-12 at 12:49 +0200, Lorenzo wrote:
> Hi! What do you think about the plugin "WordPress Automatic
> Upgrade<http://techie-buzz.com/wordpress-plugins/wordpress-automatic-upgrade-plugin-update.html>"
> (the 3rd winner of the WP Plugin
> Competition<http://weblogtoolscollection.com/archives/2007/08/26/winners-wordpress-plugin-competition/>
> )?
> I think it would be a nice feature added by default to WP (like you did for
> Akismet)!!

I myself have also released an automatic upgrade plugin
(http://www.zirona.com/software/wordpress-instant-upgrade), long before
that other one. However, I don't think it is a good idea to have such a
thing in the core of WordPress. People also said of my plugin it should
be in the core, I collected some arguments why this -- at least at the
moment -- not a good idea:

http://www.zirona.com/blog/wissenswertes/a-few-words-about-the-instantupgrade-plugin

Same reasons apply to the other plugin. However, with an FTP support
that doesn't require the PHP FTP libs and a plugin that has been very
much tested on very many plattforms and installations, it might be
possible (yet I personally still wouldn't want that.) Remember,
wp-backup also was once in the WP core, and AFAIK it was removed because
it had too many problems. Don't get me wrong, the wp-backup plugin is
great, but a part of the WP core must be 99.9999 percent perfect.

Alex

--
Alex Günsche, Zirona OpenSource-Consulting
Blogs: http://www.zirona.com/ | http://www.regularimpressions.net