[wp-testers] comment deletion

spencerp spencerp1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 06:21:31 GMT 2007

Dave J. (Scoop0901) wrote:
> On 8/31/07, spencerp <spencerp1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> 7.) And as Ryan said previously. "The big schema change is the dropping
>> of the categories, post2cat, and link2cat changes in favor of the new
>> terms, term_taxonomy, and term_relationship tables. Any plugin that
>> queries against the old table will break horribly. "
>>
>> I'm sure there's more to keep in mind, but I'm just saying some of these
>> are going to be the bigger things to address, and get out on the table
>> now. I know you made a brief post about the beta release and etc. But
>> not everyone is going to jump on the "testing wagon". Most will just
>> see... "WordPress 2.3 is now released". Grab it, install it/upgrade to
>> it, and realize... WOW! I'm having major issues with this 2.3! HELP!!
>>
>> I'm not saying that no one will make a forewarning post before it's
>> release. I'm just maybe suggesting one NOW, or SOON. Rather than later.
>> Giving the general audience the heads-up on 2.3. To "us" it's not a big
>> deal, but to the noobs it could or would be...? Or, maybe I'm just being
>> overly paranoid too, so I'll shut up about this now... =P
>>
>> Anyway, I'll start testing plugins and such, and start updating the 2.3
>> Plugin Compatibility list. =D
>>

> BINGO!  I think you hit the nail on the head, actually.  I contacted a few
> plugin developers, inquiring about their plans for upgrades for WP2.3, and
> was floored by their responses, which were almost identical:
>
> *It's just an upgrade for WordPress, so there's nothing I have to do. The
> plugins will continue working fine.*
>
> Sadly, the replies ignored the specific examples I sent via email to the
> developers, letting them know under WP2.3 that their plugins would not work
> at all.  These specific developers no longer cannot say they have not been
> warned.  They have been, but sadly, believe their plugins are on solid
> ground.
>
> The longer an "official" announcement is delayed, the worse things will be.
> Considering the release date, it may be very wise to prepare very specific,
> very detailed information about "migrating" to WP2.3 -- and I use that term
> much as Windows users and IT departments use it when considering "migrating"
> to a new version of Office or Windows.

I'll work on a post myself I guess, even though it won't be viewed by
the mass general audience sigh. I'm just about warning folks in advanced
so everyone knows what to expect. I guess some like living on the edge,
and like dealing with chaos... I'm sorry, but I sure don't. In general
I'd rather have at least a pre-warning post out there, letting the
masses know what to expect. Rather than waiting for it to be a huge
surprise, and then the forums get flooded with "help me! 2.3 broke my
blog or plugins" type posts..

I'm not sure what I'll write up, but I'll do up a post on spencerp.net
and vindictivebastard.net soon. I know my audience range for my two
blogs together, don't come close to the WP.org and WP.com sites. But at
least I'm attempting to do a warning post about this, so my "general
audience" gets a forewarning. ;) Rather than wait for so much crap to
hit fan and break it, I'd go forth and forewarn. But, can't say I didn't
tell ya so. ;)

--
spencerp
http://spencerp.net