[wp-testers] Still debugging my wp_term and related tables

Bruce Keener brucekeener at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 18:32:49 GMT 2007

Somehow in my using 2.3 alpha a few months back, going back to 2.2, then
upgrading again to 2.3 I have a situation where I am not confident in my
database as it relates to categories and tags. This is because I deleted
some categories while in 2.2, and still have the residue of them in my
wp_term table. I tried manually editing the table and thought I had it all
straightened out, but I just have my doubts.

As it stands right now, wp_terms has 68 records, while wp_term_taxonomy has
74 records. I would think that they would have the same number of rows, but
am uncertain, hence asking the experts here.

I have manually edited wp_terms to eliminate old categories (and changed a
couple of term_group items from 1 to 0 and vice-versa), but have not edited
wp_term_taxonomy.

Does the difference in record numbers indicate a problem?

For what it is worth, my wp_term_relationships table has 1,718 records. (I
pretend to understand a little bit about wp_terms and less about
wp_term_taxonomy, but I do not have any understanding of
wp_term_relationships.)

I am in the process of manually editing all of my blog entries, reassigning
new "clean" categories to them. For example, if a post is categorized as
Pocket PC, I also temporarily assign a new category of _ppc to it (in
addition to Pocket PC), and after doing this for all similarly categorized
posts, I delete the Pocket PC category and rename the _ppc category to
Pocket PC. I still have a half-dozen heavily populated categories to go
through. Once this is finished, should that finally get my tables in order?
(I am _assuming the tags are not messed up: just the categories ... if I
have messed up tags, I have another ton of work to do).

Any suggestions other than the approach I am trying?